A PBS mind in an MTV world. Anonymous

Friday, September 22, 2006

Hong Kong - Day 4, Shopping!

This was my last day in Hong Kong. After taking a couple of pictures with my roommates and bidding goodbye, I set out with my backpack to Hong Kong Central station. I left my luggage at the train station (25 HKD), and took the subway to Tsim Shia Tsui MTR station and took it easy. I visited the Hong Kong Museum of Arts and found it a waste of time. I had a good lunch at the museum cafeteria (roast pork, chicken noodle soup and chocolate cake). I wandered along Nathan Road where I bought a couple of "imitation" brand name watches. Man, is this place filled with all kinds of fake stuff? Amazing. You see hundreds of people buying Louis Vuitton bags, Rolexes and all kinds of electronic junk. I bought a Tag Heuer watch (125 USD) and a Breitling for my friend. You can bargain as much as you want. The price started at 200 USD and I finally brought the price down to 125 USD. Perhaps, I could have gone even lower.

With a few more hours to kill, I walked back to the pier (Avenue of the Stars), bought a coffee at Starbucks and relaxed with some podcasts on my iPod. I hung out at the pier and indulged in some people watching. Nothing like not having an agenda. After many more cups of coffee and bottled water, it was dusk, and I took a few more pictures of the Hong Kong skyline.

It was time to say goodbye to Hong Kong. I headed back to the Central MTR, picked up my luggage and went to the Airport Express counter to check in my baggage. The Airport Express runs every 5 minutes or so and the trip to the airport takes roughly half an hour. The beauty of the Express is that you can complete your airline check-in at the train station in central Hong Kong, board the train without baggage and go directly to immigration check. FYI, the fare for the Airport Express is 130 HKD (~ 15 USD). I've got to say, Hong Kong has really put in an effort to make travel almost painless. In the future I'll definitely take the Airport Express. Bravo Hong Kong! Well, it was time to catch my flight to Bangkok and on to the second leg of my backpacking journey.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A cheap destination in Hong Kong is Repulse Bay and Stanley Market. It gets you to the pacific side of Hong Kong Island.