A PBS mind in an MTV world. Anonymous

Sunday, October 01, 2006

India -- Day 2 -- A Flying Visit to Chennai


After a restful day meeting my parents and the family yesterday, I went to breakfast with my nephews, Siddarth, Arun and Vijay at Shanti Sagar, close to my house. I received word from Chennai that an uncle of mine, Ramasubbu was very, very ill and probably in his last days. So I consulted with a cousin, Venky and made arrangements to fly to Chennai despite the extremely short sojourn in India. With some difficulty, we managed to get flight tickets via SpiceJet airlines (4,600 INR for two tickets). See the boarding pass on the top!

Bangalore Airport had changed since my last visit in December 2005. It had become even more crowded. As comparison, we used to have 8-10 flights a day in 1987, while today there are 12 flights in an hour. According to some reports, it's the third busiest airport in India after New Delhi and Mumbai. Imagine that!

At any rate, after a one-hour flight we landed in Chennai and paid our respects to uncle Ramasubbu. He was looking really haggard and we could tell that he was in a pretty bad shape. After much deliberation, we decided to have a boys' night out at Gandhinagar Club. There were a whole bunch of guys, me, Venkatesh from Bangalore, Ramamurthy, Ram and Lakshman (my brothers), Krishnamurthy, Prakash (a friend of my brothers'), Ramasamy and Venky (from San Jose, CA). It was a real blast and the food was adequate. Strangely, some guys were drinking single malt Scotch Whiskey with water. Blech! As the saying goes, a good time was had by all, and we went back to Ramasamy's house for the night. I was very tired.

No comments: