A PBS mind in an MTV world. Anonymous

Monday, October 02, 2006

India -- Day 3 -- Return to Bangalore

The following day, we took some pictures with uncle Ramasubbu and coincidentally, they were the last pictures of his long and active life. I was really fortunate to have made that trip, for never again was I going to see the "patriarch" of the family. As I recall, that day was sunny, he could sit up for his feeding. After many years of delightful conversations with the man, it was sad to see him a mere shell of his former self.

After breakfast and lunch at uncle Ramasubbu's place, it was time to return to Bangalore. It was also October 2nd or Mahatma Gandhi's birthday. It was a dry day, i.e., no alcohol sales, so it was probably a bad day for some of the alcohol-dependent folks. Me, Venkatesh, my brothers and Prakash squeezed ourselves into Prakash's Daewoo Matiz, a 800 cc car @ 50 bhp for the 350 km journey to Bangalore. I was thinking of what people in the US might have done with a car like this.

Traffic in Chennai was needless to say horrendous, but once we departed the city, it was nice to see a newly improved National Highway 7. Unlike in the past, the roads were much broader and smoother, although you have to pay a toll to use the roads. After a 7 hour journey, we arrived in Bangalore to encounter even more traffic. I wonder how Bangalore is going to cope with increasing traffic in the future. How do multinational companies function in Bangalore, given the horrible infrastructure? In my opinion, Chennai would have been a better choice. We had dinner and called it a day. My back was sore from the car travel, and I welcomed the chance to just rest a while.

No comments: