A PBS mind in an MTV world. Anonymous

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

India - - Day 4 -- Shortest Stay in India ends!

The previous night's sleep was disturbed, because it was the last night of Dussera and as a finale, devotees drew chariots through the neighborhood and set off firecrackers until 2 am. It was noisy and cacophonous. It was also raining partially; the early October rains mixed with the sulfur fumes emanating from the firecrackers reminded me of my childhood. Ah nostalgia! After breakfast, I went to the neighborhood internet cafe to figure out what I was going to do once I reached Malaysia. As an aside, internet cafes are plenty and cheap in Bangalore. After consulting the Lonely Planet guide and some web searching, I settled on Taman Negara National Park in northern Malaysia.

I contacted my old buddy, Bhaskar and met him in Brigade Road. We went to Century Club, one of the oldest clubs, where he is a member. I had a little trouble entering the place, because I wasn't "properly" attired; T-shirt and a pair of jeans are a big no-no. I managed to "borrow" a jacket from the staff to enter the club. This club is the equivalent of a country club in the US, where only members and special invitees are allowed. The atmosphere reminds one of how things used to be during the colonial days. Plenty of greenery, good and inexpensive food and drinks at hand, but only if you are lucky enough to be a member. We had some beer and snacks and caught up with some gossip. I would have stayed longer, but I had to return home for lunch and prepare to leave Bangalore.

After lunch, I repacked all my stuff, relaxed for an hour or two, and started reading up on Taman Negara National Park. I chatted with my parents and siblings and after a sumptuous dinner, I left for the airport with my brothers, who came to see me off. It was the shortest stay of my life in India and it was bittersweet to leave so soon. Life goes on! God knows when I will see my parents again.

No comments: